Thursday, July 3, 2008

Staging!

Does anyone know why they call two days of orientation "staging"? This remains a mystery for me. Regardless, it's already over--the past two days have been packed with awkward ice breakers, group projects, and self- and "official" terms and definitions. But despite all that, I immediately felt at home here, everyone is a blast and what's more they're not what I expected. Of course, there are representatives of the "traditional" Peace Corps volunteer (think...hippie...) but no one fits exactly into any one box or category, I love it. Tonight we went to an amazing sushi place then on to just a local bar..I wish we had more time to explore Philly but I suppose we have bigger fish to fry. Tomorrow we get malaria medicine then catch a flight to Charles de Gualle at 6pm. As my last night in America for two years, I have to say that this was a pretty good one. The next one will be in Cotonou, Benin!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought about you all night last night. I couldn't sleep a wink. I miss you but i'm so proud of you. By now you've read my letter. I hope you've had time to enjoy my mix. I tried to make it all about you. Tomorrow is the 4th of July. Time to celebrate another year of being..."American?" I will make fun of crazy red,white, and blue wearers for you. Okay i hope you are having a wonderful time.

Love,


Me

Alex B. Hill said...

Hey from South Africa!

It is great to hear that the Peace Corps has placed a gret dedicated person as yourself! Benin will be an awesome placement and I can't wait to hear about all your adventures and work!