Sunday, November 8, 2009

A Letter of Appreciation to My Mama

Just about every volunteer (at least in Benin) has a mama. Often she's a neighbor; sometimes she's just a good friend. Sometimes she speaks French while others only know the local language. She's the one that gives you massive amounts of food and scolds you when you can't even finish half. She always offers to do your housework for you (and maybe she actually does) and she's terrified when you're sick. She knows all the best food sellers, clothes sellers, any kind of seller, and will tell you the right price. Maybe she'll even help you barter. In short she's a godsend, a life-line, a source of support. And because my mama is all this and more, here's a letter to her in my local language:

Mama--

Thank you. Thank you for befriending me from the very first moment when you walked up to my front door and asked to chat for a bit because you felt lonely. Even then it was easy to talk to you (especially since you speak French) but also because you treat me like anyone else. Instead of seeing me as an opportunity (i.e. for money or free things) you see me as another woman, another villager who you can talk openly with about anything. And we do talk about everything--how you were circumcised, spousal abuse, the fact that not all Americans are white, your fear of small animals (which is weird by the way). Thank you for laughing at me and with me. Thank you for helping me learn Lokpa. Thank you even for your only son who at four years is possibly the biggest brat I have ever met (think Dennis the Menance to the fiftieth power). Thank you for cooking me dinner for the better part of a year and for having the good grace to accept it when I started cooking for myself after two bouts of ameobas. And thank you most of all for all those conversations under the stars before we both go to bed (early!) and for all those conversations yet to come. You are my biggest support and best friend in village. Thank you,

Heidi (Aicha)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi, Heidi!

This was a great post!

Just wanted to let you know that I love and miss you, and I'm still checking your blog everyday! I hope you're well, and I can't wait 'til you come home!

Love,
Angela

Catherine said...

I love your letter...it made me tear up. Dude...if mali gets canceled im going to flip out. i put ur blog up on my blog!